What You Might Find Here

I've always thought of myself as a writer. Mostly because I get such satisfaction from it, and because that is the medium through which my thoughts seem to make the most sense. I don't always make sense when I'm just talking. But writing; I feel at home when I'm writing. Here I'll share thoughts, opinions, poems, short stories, and random sketches of "The Wanderers". "The Wanderers" is an ongoing story that I have no intention of finishing, but dearly love adding to. I haven't started this blog, because I think my life is especially fabulous. I'm a stay at home mom, occasionally a college student, a homeschooler and a terrible speller. I love my kids, Jesus, coffee, my husband and ice cream (not in that order). I hate animals, materialism, insincerity, and all things "trendy" (if it's popular I probably won't like it. The exception to this would be all things "Twilight". Twilight IS popular and I DO like it). So that's me, the standard edition, no frills attached.



Friday, February 13, 2009

So Maybe Everyone Isn't a Greedy Pig

I have been reflecting recently on how thankful I am that my husband still has his job at a large corporation that as far as we could tell has been showing no signs of weakening throughout the recent economic unpleasantness. The Yokogawa employees were informed yesterday that indeed Yokogawa is doing fine and is actually still MAKING money. A lot of companies can not say that recently. In an effort to further protect the company financially and to avoid ANY job cuts through out the remainder of the recession Yokogawa big wigs have decided to forgo their executive bonuses and annual raises. Employees will be doing the same. At face value there is of course a twinge of disappointment since the quarterly bonuses are nice, but if the choice lies between cutting out a bonus or cutting out your job, it's a pretty easy choice to make. I am so thankful that the people who hold my families financial security have the presence of mind to engage in preventive strategies like this, so that they do not fall victim to the pit falls that so many other corporations have. And I'd also like to point out that they were capable of making this decision on their own, BEFORE Daddy Government had to come in and put things right. Capitalism can really only work for individuals and businesses that have the capacity to govern themselves. Unfortunately greed is the norm and that is why capitalism doesn't work for very long. It reminds me of a bunch of kids at a birthday party or something. They all play nice for a while, but if left unsupervised eventually it spins out of control and Daddy has to come in, pop a few heads, and put every one back on track! "Lord of the Flies" comes to mind as well.

1 comment:

tiffibug said...

Wow, that is the most amazing thing I've heard in ages! Good for them.

Let's not talk about Lord of the Flies. It really screwed me up. I just can't...