What You Might Find Here

I've always thought of myself as a writer. Mostly because I get such satisfaction from it, and because that is the medium through which my thoughts seem to make the most sense. I don't always make sense when I'm just talking. But writing; I feel at home when I'm writing. Here I'll share thoughts, opinions, poems, short stories, and random sketches of "The Wanderers". "The Wanderers" is an ongoing story that I have no intention of finishing, but dearly love adding to. I haven't started this blog, because I think my life is especially fabulous. I'm a stay at home mom, occasionally a college student, a homeschooler and a terrible speller. I love my kids, Jesus, coffee, my husband and ice cream (not in that order). I hate animals, materialism, insincerity, and all things "trendy" (if it's popular I probably won't like it. The exception to this would be all things "Twilight". Twilight IS popular and I DO like it). So that's me, the standard edition, no frills attached.



Friday, December 19, 2008

Where's Super Mom When You Need Her?

Years ago, 11 Alive broadcasted a show each weekday called "Noon Day". It was part 11 Alive news part talk show. A frequent guest on the show was "Super Mom, Robyn Spizman." In my own weird, homeschooled, tween fashion, I had made a bit of an idol out of Ms. Spizman. My girl hood fantasies centered around a future made up part Anne of Green Gables, part Brady Bunch. I was the main star, of course, a kind, patient, motherly soul, surrounded by hordes of beautiful well behaved children that radiated health and happiness. We lived on a farm, I milked a cow and provided my eight or so children with every possible enjoyable childhood experience. Robyn Spizman played in perfectly to this fantasy as she would weekly share ideas for homemade Halloween costumes, holiday recipes, Christmas tree ornaments, homemade gifts easy for kids to make, summer field trip ideas, and of course cute ways to preserve all the glorious memories you were making with your perfect kids.
As my own real life monsters... uh.. children are now inching their way to the golden era of childhood, I am trying my darnedest, to live out my little dream. Especially here at Christmas I feel a strong urge to share "memorable, childhood experiences" with them. I started planning in July! However, reality isn't all it's cracked up to be. I'm trying to figure out where I'm going wrong, as EVERY SINGLE attempt at a festive, memorable, holiday experience with my monsters.... uh.. children, has ended in tears, destruction, and on a few instances blood! Have you ever been chased around your kitchen by an 18 month old wielding a pair of craft scissors? I was shooting for a Norman Rockwell moment, NOT Stephen King! So any way, the farthest that we've gotten is a few Popsicle sticks covered in glitter and my four year old asking what did Santa give baby Jesus at the stable. **SIGH** I often wonder what my kids will recall as adults when they think back on their holiday memories with me. Quite possibly mixed in with the nostalgia (and scars) will be an undeniable sense of a loving, involved mother, who very clearly was in need of medication!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah I am so sorry reality has dealt you such a cruel blow right here at Christmas! I feel totally responsible for your deep need to be the perfect mother.

I realize that it was my gross imperfections as a mother that drove you to idolize Robyn Spizman and others that made it all look "so easy".

One of my stress relievers in those days was imagining different ways for Super Mom to meet an untimely demise.

She gave mothers like me a bad name.

The truth is I think you are one of the greatest moms I know and it has nothing to do with activities, bargain hunting or building a scale replica of Jerusalem out of empty toilet paper rolls.

It's the fact that you treat your children as people. You love and respect them and you let them know how special they are.

Give your self some credit, not every four year old can read and write. You have done an amazing job teaching them.

I love this blog!!!

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi..it's Robyn Spizman. I can promise you that the heart of a mother is more important than all the popsicle stick crafts or homemade cookies you'll ever make or bake! I always have said that I'm not a "super" mom with a cape, so do not idolize me, rather I just want to be a super mom trying to balance the balls we all keep up in the air and doing my best as a mom. A kind word, a big hug, being on the front row to cheer my kids when they performed, those are the moments that make us a super mom. As my daughter says...it's all about showing up. Yes, as a former art teacher home-made crafts came easy for me, but raising kids and teaching them to be wonderful, loving, giving, kind individuals is the way we become super moms..putting caring souls on this earth...and the most important thing of all. That will always be what really makes us a super mom. So all you super striving moms out there ... hang in there and whether you are baking cookies, playing games with your kids, or sewing costumes or even ready to scream for some help, just know that even Super Mom comes to earth now and then and smiles and says, the best job on earth far beyind anything we can do with our kids in life is simply to tell them we love them and be a supportive mom who shows up....even with imperfections, burned cookies, failed popsicle crafts and all, it doesn't get any better than this job. Happy Holidays! Super Mom is right there when you need her...just look in the mirror!

Robyn Spizman www.robynspizman.com